Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Evidence of spirituality in our physical bodies?

After listening to Jill Bolte Taylor tell her story -- a brain scientist, who experiences a massive stroke and lives to share the insights learned from the experience (see link) -- it makes me ponder even more the idea of our spirituality and connection to each other and the world around us. (She does an amazing job of explaining this!)

I'm very much caught up in my own mind -- to-do lists, projects, calendars, chores -- and constantly struggle with remaining "in the moment," a very Zen idea. I have tried yoga, meditation, various religions and books, and nothing ever seems to get my left-brain to let go long enough for my right brain to kick in.

But before hearing her tell the story, this concept never occurred to me -- that it really is a brain exercise. I always thought of spirituality as something outside of myself, something I had to try to attain. 

In considering it as a left-brain, right-brain issue, it helps me to consider my spiritual journey in a different light. Perhaps I can think of it as needing to exercise the right brain to strengthen it and learning to rest the left brain. This appeals to my logical nature, creating a tie to our physical bodies and tangible properties proven by science, and not just "something out there" that I just can't relate to.

Let me know what you think!

No comments: